[FoRK] New Divide in American Death was Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 150, Issue 8

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Wed Apr 13 17:29:08 PDT 2016

Stephen Williams:
"There are large swaths of the rural US with socially encouraged dumpth,
where drinking and smoking and more dangerous pursuits are extremely
popular. The savvy truly do move away as soon as they can, which
certainly affects statistics. But that just clarifies the root cause
that is often hidden in more mixed areas: subcultures that don't value
education, growth, health, exercise, achievement, and avoidance of
habitual pitfalls lead directly to poor health and early death. There's
little that the medical community can do when cultural pressures
outweigh facts and good advice."

There are other considerations to choosing to live in a rural area.
e.g., Quiet nights, stars in the sky at night. low crime rates.
neighbors that care about others but don't interfere (i.e., not self
righteous), and others.  Considerations in not moving from a rural area
are:  Family nearby, traditional ways of living (think
Native-Americans), cost of moving (both emotional and financial), and
the elephant, land ownership.

By the way, I live in a rural area by choice.  The closest grocery store
is over 5 miles away, and most of the people working there recognize
me.  I am also completely surrounded by a Native-American reservation.
And it's just 17 miles to one the most scientifically driven enterprises
in the United States (Los Alamos National Laboratories), and 25 miles to
one of the most liberal cities in the U.S. (Santa Fe).  I suppose all
that qualifies as a edge case to SDW's thesis, with which I mostly
agree, other than the blanket statement "The savvy truly do move away as
soon as they can" which I believe is false considering I have highly
regarded scientists as neighbors.

Peace,
Marty