[FoRK] New Divide in American Death was Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 150, Issue 8

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 15 00:07:04 PDT 2016

Exactly.  Culturally, those don't seem rural.  Or not completely rural.  Rural-ish.

Rural to me means farm houses every mile in every direction, where people actually live on their farms and do 4H for entertainment
and socializing (along with church).  Where the address is: Williams Family, Rural Route #25.  Where, other than a nearby highway,
the roads are called: "County Road 35".  People who live in small towns aren't rural - that's the area between towns.  I grew up in
a town of 11,000, that has 10,000 now, which was the largest town in the county.  But us "city" kids had our own high school and we
didn't really know anything about rural living except when we somehow interacted outside of the normal sphere, which seemed rare.
One of my few experiences there was being a surrogate "father" / big brother to my best friend's little brother for a 4H small
engine repair class, held in a barn out in the country.  Once, I went to Farm Focus, which was a big farming convention, held in my
county each year, that we didn't know anything about.

The only consistent connection between cultures was the county fair each year.

Other than some back streets in Auburn with horses or wine grapes, I don't think I've seen real rural living in California yet.
Farmland isn't "rural" unless people are living in farmhouses on the farmland.  Between SJ and LA, either on 101 or I5, I haven't
seen any rural living other than wineries.  And much of the time, it doesn't seem like the owners are living there; it's usually
just fancy wine stores.