[FoRK] So you think you can think? (So you think you can do?)

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 8 02:03:00 PDT 2016

Good points.  Think, think about thinking, do, and think about doing.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/so-you-think-can-reid-hoffman

Indeed, capitalism itself derives from the revolutionary work of Scottish philosopher Adam Smith, who hypothesized in /The Wealth of
Nations/ <http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN.html> how the pursuit of self-interest through specialization, markets, and free
trade would facilitate both individual liberty and aggregate public good.

Whether you are building a single skyscraper or an entire society, the metaphysics matter as much as the physics. And in this
particular moment, when newly emergent technologies are creating opportunities for both utopia and dystopia, we need more
philosophers, not fewer.

We should be paying more attention to those, like Wright, whose long view of history and insightful understanding of human
aspiration helps contextualize and clarify the opportunities and challenges we face today.

 From the comments:
Jonathan Sweeney
Account Manager Sales Assistant at CDW
"Brings to mind a quote From Robert Heinlein: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.""