[FoRK] Thanks, Jimmy Carter, for Stating What Should Be Obvious: Trump’s Campaign Is Racist | The Nation

Rohit Khare rkhare at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:09:50 PDT 2016

http://www.thenation.com/article/thanks-jimmy-carter-for-stating-what-should-be-obvious-trumps-campaign-is-racist/

 "in my grandparents’ house, Carter’s name was literally whispered with
reverence. He ranked up there after only Jesus and my grandfather’s
grandmother Betty, who was born in slavery, lost her right hand in a cotton
gin at age 5, was operated on by her uncle on the plantation, and somehow
went on to eke out enough money from a lifetime of sharecropping to buy a
small plot on which future generations were born, raised, and would die. We
were not the Carters."

"Martin Luther King Jr. labeled the county “Terrible Terrell,” for its
intense anti-black violence. On a few occasions when my father came home
after sundown from SNCC meetings, he made his way on foot through pecan
groves in order to avoid being picked up by law enforcement on the open
road. On those nights, my grandfather waited on the porch for him with a
shotgun. They had a special signal in case he was being chased by the Ku
Klux Klan."

"the fact that Carter himself felt the need to come out of cancer recovery
and issue a clarion call on race is deeply worrying. A man brought up
during some of the nation’s darkest times, whose early existence was
predicated on rank inequity, who then worked to make many of the changes
now under assault, has told us to wake up—because we’re backsliding."