[FoRK] Joyent, cloud service evolution

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Thu Jul 14 12:25:41 PDT 2016

Koen Holtman <k.holtman at chello.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Marty Halvorson wrote:
>
>> After reading all this, I wonder what you'll think of how the CERN LHC
>> collects data?
>>
>> Each experiment generates 10's of trillions of bit's per second.  A reduction
>> of up to 2 orders of magnitude is done in hardware, the result is sent via
>> very high speed pipes to a huge number of PC's where a further reduction of 1
>> or 2 magnitudes is done.  Finally, the data is stored for research purposes
>> usually done on collections of supercomputers.
> I usually just lurk on this list, but I worked on LHC data processing back
> in the late 1990s/early 2000s, so I'll try to relate CERN LHC data
> handling to the rest of this thread.
Thanks for this.  I wrote that from experience at CERN from the
perspective of the beginning of LEP development.  Unfortunately I didn't
make it any farther in what I was doing.  I found CERN an absolutely
fascinating place to work coming as I did from the U.S.

I retired over 10 years ago and can barely understand what's happening
today.  Good to know that only the names have changed (and the speeds).

Peace,
Marty