[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 153, Issue 2

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 15 12:41:02 PDT 2016

> Good to know that only the names have changed (and the speeds).

It was nice to discover that very little has changed (other than
names and speeds) since 1963:
James Thornton, Considerations in computer design - leading up to the
Control Data 6600
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/CDC/CDC.
6600.1963.102641207.pdf
> I suppose the picture of computing is of a topsy-turvy growth
> obeying laws of a commercial "natural" selection. This could be
> entirely accurate considering how fast it has grown. Things started
> out it a scholarly vein, but the rush of commerce hasn't allowed
> much time to think where we're going.

-Dave

>  Of course all the old techniques that we determined we needed have
> newly minted names, or are referred to indirectly by naming open
> source projects.

I'm at the stage in my career where that's very helpful.  It's much
less effort to learn one new set of vocabulary, skipping N
generations, than N new sets, staying current each time.

> The biggest hurdle to process improvement has always been figuring
> out how to overcome human and orginational inertia to change.

Part of that inertia may be the sneaking suspicion that any change
which isn't applied at a (current or future) bottleneck is likely to
be as much or more trouble than it seems to be worth?