[FoRK] Adamantium?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 2 09:06:52 PST 2016

Intermetallic compounds like this tend to be very hard and very
brittle.  I suspect they would end up making relatively small
particles and embedding them in a softer matrix (a more conventional
titanium alloy)  if they want to make practical parts with it.  Those
gold atoms aren't going anywhere by diffusion if you need to process
the composite at high temperatures, unlike intermetallics with lighter
metals like aluminum.

Still, an interesting article.

Ken Meltsner
Defrocked metallurgist

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
>
>> May we burn it?
>

> You can *try* to burn it...

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.