[FoRK] old favorites

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 16 16:02:03 PST 2016

No, I'm just hoping that when it becomes a form of performance art,
that will kill it for most people.

Right now, way too many people believe way too much that they read for
no other reason than they read it somewhere that they think is
reliable.

We're stuck in the uncomfortable period between "they couldn't say it
if it wasn't true" era where you have to repeat the lies enough to get
them into reputable media (e.g. Swiftboating) and the "I have to check
Snopes, etc. before I share that item" era where we treat the front
page the way most people treat the 10-day weather forecast.

Ken

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> I can see that in the sense that we all laugh about it and nobody takes it seriously, or at least the ones who do are a tiny
> minority and we can all laugh at them until they start grasping reality better.
>
> Like new age crystal gaia mumbo jumbo: Harmless, mildly entertaining in small doses, doesn't hurt anybody measurably.  An
> adolescentish phase to grow out of.
>
> I like to think there are a lot of things that people feign believing for various performance-arty reasons, or at least I hope
> that's the case because the alternative is too depressing.
>
> sdw
>
> On 12/16/16 3:16 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>> Peak Fake will be when it is acknowledged as a form of performance
>> art.  (idea stolen from The Jazz by Melissa Scott)
>>
>> Ken Meltsner

>>> Maybe they were mostly fake robo-hotties on all of those fake dating sites.
>>>
>>> We are in the Age Of Fake within the Internet Age right now.  When do you predict we will or have reached Peak Fake?  Hopefully it
>>> was 2016 and this election, but we'll see.  <snark held>
>>>
>>> sdw

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.