[FoRK] old favorites

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Dec 16 16:17:00 PST 2016

Luckily enough I think most people use multiple sources of news.  I
think the main complaint is the fake stuff skews the line. In fact, in
social media, most people understand that they are sharing fake news,
but they (90%) forward it anyways for "what if it was true" and "we
don't trust X enough that it might actually be true" and "I wish someone
would look into if this is true".

I think it's a benefit of social media and just part of the process of
working stuff out.  Reddit truth squads are better journalists
fact-checkers than anything that the mass media can product. It works
itself out.  Few remember that without Little Green Footballs, the
Killian documents would never have been debunked.  [1]

Facebook should buy Reddit for whatever they can pay for it.  Snopes is
okay, but they end up answering the wrong question sometimes--seemingly
intentionally.

Greg

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversy