[FoRK] old favorites

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Dec 17 08:05:43 PST 2016

On 2016-12-16 18:44, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> I like to think there are a lot of things that people feign believing
> for various performance-arty reasons, or at least I hope
> that's the case because the alternative is too depressing.

I stick with "performative".  Folks are affirming tribal allegiance and
counting coup by uttering things that mean *nothing* to their day-to-day
lives, but they think will hurt the enemy tribe.  Just talkin' shit with
your buds.

I can forgive folks for being tribal and doing tribal things, it's how
we survive in the wild.
I can sorta forgive folks who rile up their fellows by shouting that
other tribes are oppressing them, it's a very old trick.
I can not forgive the folks who cynically make a buck (or win political
office) by promoting tribalism and reinforcing our worst tendencies.  Of
course, the ultimate costs of doing that are externalized.

 From the wrong side of the Potomoc,
   Aaron