[FoRK] Unix on the Z80

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 17 21:33:37 PST 2016

I never saw this in the wild, and I would have thought I would have,
but clearly they didn't make much headway as far north as the East
Bay.  The closest to Unix that I saw at the Byte Shop of Berkeley was
a Unixish OS running on a re-microcoded LSI-11. (~1980)

Famous (in the tiny world of 8-bit microcomputers) for having one of
the earliest color video cards and memory bank switching for the S-100
(8-bit -- descendants of the original Altair) world.

Did not know that they switched to the 68000 in 1982, and amazingly a
piece of the company still exists (according to Wikipedia).

Ken Meltsner

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> I've known about Xenix for a long time, of course, but Xenix required a 16
> bit processor.
>
> Somehow I missed Cromix.
>
> https://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/co/1981/07/01667455.pdf
>
> So -- not only was there a Unix-like alternative for MS-DOS -- there was a
> Unix-like alternative for CP/M.

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.