[FoRK] Let's Talk About The Weather

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Fri Jan 20 13:42:02 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Bill Kearney <wkearney99 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> That and don't ever drive over a tumbleweed.  Good chance the heat from
> your
> exhaust will set it on fire.  Nobody wants a car-b-que backing up traffic.

​I accidently ran over a wooden ladder​ on Interstate 405 back in '84. I
was going probably 80 mph (that was possible back then on the 405) and when
I looked behind, all I saw was splinters, nothing bigger than maybe 5" long.

Two months later, I took my car (a '82 Mazda GLC making 80 hp tops) up to
Mt Baldy (10,000 feet above sea level). It started smelling like a
fireplace. I pulled over and discovered that a chunk of the ladder had
caught in the seam of my muffler. Being young and stupid, I decided to keep
driving and let the chunk burn away. Which it did.

I'm currently driving a Cayman and it's so low the tumbleweed would
probably never get underneath the car. And if it did, it wouldn't hit the
exhaust until the very end of the car, since it's mid-engined.