[FoRK] The Most Important Article You'll Read Today About The Democratic Party.

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu May 4 13:47:25 PDT 2017

Well since a lot of the exchanges no longer have any vendors, there's no
profit, so they've all exited. Some exchanges also only have one vendor
so there's no competitive price structures.  Deductibles on some plans
are more than the plan is worth, so those plans are upside down even
with government subsidies which only qualify for the poorest of the poor.

They like quoting that uninsured dropped, but responsible insurees are
paying for those less responsible, so deductibles ran rampant as well as
premiums.  The goal was to cover uninsured, not reduce health costs.
The second part turned out to be complete fabrication.  You can't cite
one metric without the other--the other being a completely unfair wealth
redistribution on the most poor and vulnerable.

So thank you very much.  My prediction that they would need to fix it
was spot on.  My prediction they will need to fix this also is spot on,
though they've kicked the can down the road 10-15 years.

So what they've done is instead of amortizing unneeded services and
insurance across all the participants., now insurers can debundle
coverage items and you are not forced to pay for services you will never
need or want.  It's the first step to returning to a market-driven system.

California, particularly Southern California, is on the front line of
uninsured, rising costs, innovation, hospital closings, medicare fraud,
and half a dozen other issues.  The best thing this bill does is erase
the artificial restrictions of purchasing health insurance across state
lines and eliminating the purchase mandate.  Those alone makes it an
improvement.

Greg

Little bit of history from Sept. 2016.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/obamacare-has-increased-insurance-coverage-everywhere/