[FoRK] The AI breakthrough

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Sun May 7 18:02:44 PDT 2017

Bill K is correct. This is just the post the mebot would generate.

What the I-bot am thinking about is the Rubicon, as Aaron calls it. Though,
it's not a specific application like speech recognition on the bot's mind,
it's ML as a general tool.

I wonder about comparable events in the history of software development.
The birth of Unix? SQL? Transistors? Von Neuman?

Dr Ernie, it's funny in a gruesome way to think of ML as invalidating all
the decades of procedural AI research. My thought is that true AI has been
a laughing stock all these years, with procedural methods sitting at the
captain's table. Most of us - definitely including me - considered true AI
a wild goose chase. I was aware of methods to approximate cognitive
processes. I believed human intelligence could be rivaled by automated
systems. But I didn't think it would matter in daily engineering except for
edge cases.