[FoRK] Engineering rules of thumb and Amazon's HQ2 effort

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 11 22:51:02 PDT 2017

> See also: The curse of building a shiny new headquarters
>
> http://www.businessinsider.com/poorly-timed-headquarters-2009-11 <http://www.businessinsider.com/poorly-timed-headquarters-2009-11>
>
> I generally buy the idea that the distraction of creating the perfect new building/monument tends to steal attention from ruthlessly executing the business.

That is a nicely ambiguous phrase...  For Apple and Amazon (and formerly Google and Facebook), faced with way too much cash, it is a
logical option.  It could pay off in various ways, but just eating up some cash is probably justification enough.

As long as buildings are built large enough to hold one of these for my office, I'm good.  I'll even pay for it myself.
http://www.officepod.co.uk/
Or:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2259583/Home-Darth-Vader-office-future-The-designer-workroom-intended-improve-family-life-end-commuting.html

Of course what I really want is: