[FoRK] "If you do not respond (to our scammy ploy), Google will mark your business as closed."

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Wed Oct 4 18:39:54 PDT 2017

It was thus said that the Great Tom Higgins once stated:
> Yep, I have been getting these calls from two different sets of numbers.
> The pitch is always that they are from Google AND Bing and that unless I
> act NOW NOW NOW my website will be delisted from both sites and maybe more.
> Call US NOW.
>
> I am not sure when this started but calls from known scammers show up on my
> call screen on a RED BACKGROUND, very very handy first line way to know
> when not to answer

  You wouldn't happen to have an Android phone by any chance?

  I only ask because that sounds like the software from the company I work
for [1].  We're still working on how to exactly signify a spam call and that
was one of the eaiser ways to signify that. [2]

  -spc (Who works for a company with only four customers, but those
	customers are the various Monopolistic Phone Companies [3])

[1]	Our company also does enhanced caller ID, wherein we deliver an
	actual *name*, in addition to the phone number you normally receive.
	Looking up spam information is a recent addition to our features.

[2]	I think legal is still looking into replacing the name with
	"spammer".  Or the Monopolistic Phone Company's legal department is
	looking into that.  I'm not sure.  Things do not move fast in the
	telephony industry.

[3]	Yes, it should be the "Oligarchist Phone Companies," but that
	doesn't quite roll off the tongue.