[FoRK] Science Wars: Is Science a Social Construct?, Women's Studies as Virus

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 5 10:21:48 PST 2018

This ties together and coherently refutes a wide range of anti-science ideas and people.  Quite the hairy mess.

There are plenty of good terms to learn from this like: science-shy students (because of cultural association, etc.). Science wars.
I suppose that's always been a thing, in waves. Quite a thing that it's such a thing still, apparently stronger than ever with
people who are serious about theories.  Even if the theories aren't really serious.

The whole video is good, but this is at the paper proposing a strategy for a "Women's Studies as Virus" approach:

https://youtu.be/bxdBRKmPhe4?t=24m43s

I'm all for general inclusiveness and equality, but this is deep into territory that is begging for good and persistent mocking.
It's fine to not be into science, but attacking science with pseudoscience in all these ways is unacceptable.  Not that there's any
real worry about science, but there are various negative impacts and the occasional (I hope) dumb decision, in politics and
elsewhere.  It's going to take more than Niel to constantly refute all of this to avoid a nasty infection.

It is amazing that people watch this kind of thing for reasons other than comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jLs-1GpwQM  Dr Prof Alex Jones Explains Advanced Physics

Stephen