[FoRK] Kelley Howell

geege schuman geege4 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:41:23 PDT 2018

Here’s Kelley’s FB post from mid-September. She was thinking of us until
the end.

It’s getting that time my lovely fam. Your body just knows. I'm too weak
for any treatments and the pain is horrific. It has been a hard day with
therapy and I'm so exhausted, too tired to battle. I'm refusing treatment
and getting ready for hospice. I don't imagine I can live this way for even
a couple of weeks. Which sounds horrific, but it's a godsend to hear your
body tell you it's time, to feel the relief and not be afraid.

It's peaceful. It's liberating. Your choices are narrowed, you don't have
to fret anymore which, for us modern Americans is precisely what's making
us sick on every level: too many useless choices, too many demands on the
time we have to live and enjoy our communities. And we do it all, too
often,  without communities to support us because they've been ravaged by
modern life, a precarious economy, what Habermas called the colonization of
our lifeworld by the state and a soul crushing market economy.

If you are of this political persuasion, carry on the fight to make us all
more free, whole humans who can achieve and do anything in the context of
communities overflowing with human love, human potential. It's always about
freedom.

I thought y'all would find it a comfort to know that while I'm sad to have
little time to do a few things, I'm not especially afraid. I did take half
an atavan, tho. *smile*