[FoRK] crypto

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 20 16:36:50 PDT 2019

He lost me when he said on the video that the math for public/private
keys hasn't changed since the 1970s.  One of the methods hasn't --
factoring -- but the first one chosen was dropped  (knapsack problem
IIRC).  The crypto community discovered that the second problem could
be solved relatively quickly, and so it was abandoned.  Factoring is
still used because as far as anyone knows, it's still hard.  He's
making an extraordinary claim: factoring is not hard because they have
a magic algorithm for predicting primes.

[1] https://nrich.maths.org/2199 for example.

Here's the real challenge.  Take a well-known public key, e.g. the one
on the certificate for mail.google.com.  It's only 256 bits (just
checked) and so, in theory, if their success in factoring is general
(and not the result of a carefully chosen composite value), they
should be able to factor it and generate the private key.  Even if
they have a slightly successful method -- of the public keys from a
thousand or so of the top web sites, 1% of the private keys can be
generated -- I'd count that as a significant step forward (and a scary
one).

Ken

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> On 9/20/2019 4:17 PM, Gary Stock wrote:
> > Schneier ramped up last week:
> >
> >     "Crown Sterling is complete and utter snake oil."
> >
> >     https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/09/the_doghouse_cr_1.html
> >
> > ...and doubled down today:
> >
> >     "Is anyone taking this company seriously anymore?"
> >
> >     https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/09/crown_sterling_.html
> >
> > Both comment threads are chock full of brutal "assessing" ;-)
> >
> > GS

> > Gary Stock
> >
> > 269.720.7393
> >

> >     gstock at nexcerpt.com
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:05 PM Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Need some help assessing....
> >>
> >> Greg
> >>

> >> https://finance.yahoo.com/news/crown-sterling-decrypts-rsa-asymmetric-130000324.html
> >>
> >> NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
> >>
> >> Crown Sterling Also Announces Completion of New White Paper: “Novel
> >> Geometric Methods for Semiprime Factorization”
> >>
> >> Crown Sterling, an emerging digital cryptography firm, today announced
> >> that yesterday at approximately 5:15 p.m. Pacific Time, the company
> >> conducted a live demonstration and decrypted two RSA asymmetric public
> >> keys at a public gathering at Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach,
> >> California. Crown Sterling hosted the event with 100+ academics and
> >> business professionals in attendance, where Crown Sterling Computer
> >> Scientists decrypted two 256-bit asymmetric public keys in approximately
> >> 50 seconds from a standard laptop computer. Crown Sterling also
> >> announced the consistent decryption of 512-bit asymmetric public key in
> >> as little as five hours also using standard computing. The video of the
> >> decryption demonstration can be found here:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEVJrQEVd0I&t=5s.
> >>
> >> Crown Sterling also announced the completion of a new white paper to be
> >> submitted for peer review, “Novel Geometric Methods for Semiprime
> >> Factorization,” co-authored by Robert Edward Grant, Co-Founder and CEO,
> >> Crown Sterling, and Talal Ghannam PhD., Physicist and Number Theorist.
> >> The paper includes four different geometric and arithmetic methods for
> >> public key (semiprime) factorization and one of the methods titled, “The
> >> Reciprocal Factoring Method” includes an analysis of reciprocal values
> >> of public keys and their embedded private keys (prime factors) found
> >> within their period decimal extensions.
> >>
> >> “Today’s decryptions demonstrate the vulnerabilities associated with the
> >> current encryption paradigm,” said Grant. “We have clearly demonstrated
> >> the problem which also extends to larger keys.”
> >>
> >> In March of 2019, Grant identified the first Infinite Prime Number
> >> prediction pattern where the discovery was published on www.arXiv.org
> >> titled: “Accurate and Infinite Prime Number Prediction from Novel
> >> Quasi-Prime Analytical Methodology.” The paper was also co-authored by
> >> Ghannam.
> >>
> >> ABOUT CROWN STERLING

> [...]

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever .sig material.