[FoRK] crypto

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Sep 25 21:57:13 PDT 2019

At the ANA Avatar XPRIZE teams meeting / AI for Good conference (where he was probably from) in Geneva, there was a guy who had a
'revolutionary' 'quantum computing' method.  He claimed to have it running on his laptop, saying his simulation of the quantum
computing process for finding keys, implemented using machine learning (!), performed the same as running the quantum key search
algorithm.  That was a long lunch conversation.  I had to resist the urge to warn people away from him later.

On 9/20/19 4:36 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> He lost me when he said on the video that the math for public/private
> keys hasn't changed since the 1970s.  One of the methods hasn't --
> factoring -- but the first one chosen was dropped  (knapsack problem
> IIRC).  The crypto community discovered that the second problem could
> be solved relatively quickly, and so it was abandoned.  Factoring is
> still used because as far as anyone knows, it's still hard.  He's

Elliptic curve is the newer (newest?) one.

> making an extraordinary claim: factoring is not hard because they have
> a magic algorithm for predicting primes.
>
> [1] https://nrich.maths.org/2199 for example.
>
> Here's the real challenge.  Take a well-known public key, e.g. the one
> on the certificate for mail.google.com.  It's only 256 bits (just
> checked) and so, in theory, if their success in factoring is general
> (and not the result of a carefully chosen composite value), they
> should be able to factor it and generate the private key.  Even if
> they have a slightly successful method -- of the public keys from a
> thousand or so of the top web sites, 1% of the private keys can be
> generated -- I'd count that as a significant step forward (and a scary
> one).

Big if.

New crypto (and crypto related math) developments would be cool, but I don't have fun when friends or friends of friends or whoever
I run into have a 'new, more secure encryption technology'.  All the amateurish concepts and beginner mistakes, not vetted by
anybody, are tiresome.  I can usually see that and I may be on either side of a DK line on crypto.  Even if someone created a new
better crypto, it would be difficult to vet that.  Breaking crypto is easier to test, but there are still pitfalls.  Here, perhaps
they tested pre-selected keys that happened (or were engineered) to use primes within a certain zone.

I find it more interesting to think and work on using crypto and related security features with various characteristics rather than
creating new fundamental elements.

> Ken

Stephen

--