[FoRK] This is how you kill a programming language. Java, you are dead to me.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 23 22:27:47 PDT 2019

Doh, rushing.  This: https://sdw.st/images/JavaLicenseTerms2019-10-19-10.42.12AM.png

Sure, for Linux, that's true.  It should remain reasonable to have a GPL Linux Java.  But what about MacOS?

This attempts to explain it all:
https://medium.com/@javachampions/java-is-still-free-2-0-0-6b9aa8d6d244

After the very long "short" version, which was pretty long:

"The Longer Version

This section deliberately has a lot of detail as there are nuances that need to be clearly explained. Please do yourself and your
colleagues a favor by setting aside some proper time to read this in full. You’ll thank yourself for it, seriously."

Seriously?

Or this less detailed take:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/can-you-still-use-the-java-programming-language-for-free-what-you-need-to-know/

It does look like Amazon Corretto will work.  Or OpenJDK here: https://jdk.java.net/13/

No obvious way to uninstall commercial Java on MacOS.  Other than deleting it, which isn't too unusual on MacOS.  But I think Java
is registered in browsers etc., so that's probably not a good idea.  After installing Amazon Corretto, it's not in the path; I
apparently need to read documentation or go looking to use it.  The JDK download is a tgz, not friendly for non-programmers.  I can
put that in /Applications and put it into the path, but that's just passive aggressive.

Some day I'll have to spend more time on Java researching these details.  Not today Oracle, not today.

When I'm not using Javascript everywhere or C++ almost everywhere, I'll have to get more serious about Go, Rust, Swift, and Python.