[FoRK] AI on AI

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Nov 7 17:49:50 PST 2019

This looks like believable text.

https://openai.com/blog/gpt-2-1-5b-release/

Greg

WARNING:tensorflow:From
/home/greg/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/training/saver.py:1276:
checkpoint_exists (from
tensorflow.python.training.checkpoint_management) is deprecated and will
be removed in a future version.
Instructions for updating:
Use standard file APIs to check for files with this prefix.
2019-11-07 17:43:41.393939: W
tensorflow/compiler/jit/mark_for_compilation_pass.cc:1412] (One-time
warning): Not using XLA:CPU for cluster because envvar
TF_XLA_FLAGS=--tf_xla_cpu_global_jit was not set.  If you want XLA:CPU,
either set that envvar, or use experimental_jit_scope to enable XLA:CPU.
  To confirm that XLA is active, pass --vmodule=xla_compilation_cache=1
(as a proper command-line flag, not via TF_XLA_FLAGS) or set the envvar
XLA_FLAGS=--xla_hlo_profile.
Model prompt >>> U.S. Chief Technology Officer Michael Kratsios said
Nov. 5 that more work is needed to realize “explainable” artificial
intelligence (AI) technology, and said the government will offer further
regulatory guidance soon on the technology’s use.

“The idea of explainable AI is extraordinarily appealing to a
regulator…but we know that explainable AI doesn’t exist currently,” the
CTO said at NVIDIA’s GPU Technology Conference. “There’s still
incredible amounts of research that needs to be done” to reach that
“explainable” state of the technology, he said.

Because of this, Kratsios said the Federal government will continue to
invest in AI research and development (R&D), and his office plans to
release a memo sometime in the next month that will provide some
regulatory clarity regarding the technology. The coming memo, he said,
will provide guidelines for the use of AI, and will seek public comment
on those. Clarity on AI guidelines and standards, he said, will help
knock down barriers to innovation.

Kratsios did not assign blame for the current lack of “explainable” AI,
and similarly asserted that possible biases in AI algorithms – an
often-stated concern of policy-makers and technologists – are not born
of evil intent.
======================================== SAMPLE 1

"There is no timeframe for the U.S. government to provide the necessary
regulatory guidance on the use of AI technology," Kratsios added. "We
are very concerned about the potential for artificial intelligence to be
used to create a more efficient, more efficient economy, and we
encourage our peers to take the lead on this issue."

Kratsios said that the government is in the process of developing a
proposal to implement the U.S. Department of Commerce's (DOE) Artificial
Intelligence Technology Technology Improvement Act (AIITIA) and the
Department of Defense's (DoD) AI Intelligence Technology Improvement Act
(AIITIA-II), which are jointly written and implemented by the Department
of Energy and the U.S. Department of Defense.

"We are aware of the need for new regulatory frameworks for AI
technology and are working closely with the Department of Energy on
these proposals," Kratsios said. "We're also working with the Department
of Defense regarding the potential for AI technology to be used to
create more efficient, more efficient, and more efficient economies."

Kratsios said that the Department of Energy has been working closely
with the Department of Defense to develop a framework for developing and
implementing AI technology for the U.S. government.

"It's a matter of mutual respect among the agencies that the DoD and DoD
have the resources, expertise and the technical expertise to implement
the best possible AI technology," Kratsios said. "We're also looking at
how the technology can inform the economy and how to mitigate risks to
our nation's security and prosperity."

The U.S. Department of Energy has long been a partner in the research
and development of AI technology and is working with industry to develop
the technology.

The U.S. Department of Defense is also working closely with the National
Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) on
the development of a "Smart and Intelligent Home" and "Smart and
Intelligent Robot" concept.

"We're looking at ways to leverage the NSF's NSF and NSF-funded research
and development to develop the technology for our own national security
and prosperity, using the NSF's $10 billion Research and Development
Fund to support the development of this technology," Kratsios said. "We
are also exploring the possibility of using the money to develop new
products and tools that would integrate the technology into government,
research and development."

In addition to the U.