wind on windpower [Re: [NYT] Slowdown ...]

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 15:40:44 PST

> That's a matter of opinion. I find the High Plains of Eastern New
> Mexico extremely desirable, for example.

I might share that opinion (how do the high
plains compare to the Mogollon Rim?) but by
comparing maps of annual wind power density
to population density, we can see that most
people don't live in class 6 or higher wind
power areas.

Of course, if it turns out that most people
don't live in the places they desire, there
ought to be some better phrasings. Perhaps
"...[consistently heavy wind areas] are not
the most often chosen living locations"?

-Dave

"Wind Energy Resource Atlas of the United States"
<http://rredc.nrel.gov/wind/pubs/atlas/maps/chap2/2-01m.html>
"1990 Population Distribution in the United States"
<http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/USPD-1990.html>

somewhat nicer population map at:
<http://school.discovery.com/homeworkhelp/worldbook/atozgifs/mp000500/mp000397.gif>