Re: FoRK This Action!! (P2P's Dark Side)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 16:40:51 PST

"Adam L. Beberg" wrote:

> There is something else larger below the surface here... the "let someone
> else pay for it" is becoming more and more of a theme.

Makes sense, too. "3rd-party pays" is demonstrably the most scalable and
acceptable business model in the world for consumer bits, even consumer pipe to
some extent: look at all the media models. The failure of existing banner ads
notwithstanding, you just can't get adoption and build revenue from the
end-users at the same time.

> You could try to argue that P2P filesystems make data distribution more
> efficient, but you would lose, that's what caches are for (no not the fake
> akamai kind).

Beberg, we're gonna have to sync up sometime soon. :-)

jb