CNN breaking news (was: Re: <gasp!>)

From: Matthew Haughey (matt@haughey.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 16:35:55 PST

On 04:20 PM 3/22/2001 -0800, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>Yeah, I know. I'm subscribed to breaking news also and I was totally
>puzzled why this was newsworthy.

I subscribed to the breaking news mail back when the "election" (do the air
quote thing with your hands as you read that) was still up in the air, and
I wanted to know instantly when news came in.

Since then, it's intrigued me. Why does CNN even do this? The messages
arrive with such urgency, but more (well-researched) details are anywhere
from 30 minutes to hours away from reaching their website. I've found the
messages to feel almost like rumors.

So on the one hand, CNN's brand image is that of the most trustworthy, most
thorough news organization out there, but on the other hand, they're
running this massmail rumor mill that basically spreads up-to-the-minute
hysteria-filled messages.

I never understood how they reconciled this internally.

Matt