Re: Evolution being slow ...

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 18:03:38 PDT

Jay Thomas wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
> >
> > And in other news, don't forget about how NASA had to adjust the trajectory of the
> > moonshots to account for the period of time when the Earth's revolutions were
> > stopped per Biblical "history"...
>
> Alright, jb, I usually follow your posts pretty closely, consider myself
> fairly well educated and well read, but that one lost me. Could you give
> me a quick synopsis?

(BTW, I'm copying the list in case I lost anybody else, and also to make a slight
correction...)

Sorry, here goes: it's an "urban legend" popular especially among Southern protestants
that NASA had to make adjustments in its orbital calculations for the (IIRC) cislunar
portion of the trip to accomodate the "fact" that the Earth's motion (rotation,
actually, not revolution) was halted via divine intervention for some period of time,
according to some biblical story.

This is, of course, entirely false. To their credit, some xian fundamentalists disclaim
the story. According to the Google:

    http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/1117.asp

jb