Re: NSI's latest scurrilousity

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 19:49:36 PDT

Jeff Barr wrote:

> So has anyone else had the experience of running whois
> for a promising domain name, then waiting a day or two
> to reguister it, only to find that against tremendous
> odds someone else magically decided to grab it?

Not personally, no.

> What are the odds?

Inconceivable.

> I wonder if NSI is secretly feeding whois requests for
> non-existent domains to an outsider who can buy them up
> and then resell them later? In the days when startups
> would pay big bucks for domains this could have been a
> very profitable sideline.

I believe this has been shown to be true. And not just of
NSI. If interest is expressed in an available name but it
is not immediately registered, they sequester it somehow
in the next db update, and you get to pay a premium -- if
it is not entered in an auction you have no hope of winning.

TeenLinux.Com was registered last June. Is that about the
correct timeframe?

I wish there were a way to do a reverse-whois on handles in
order to find out what domains have what associations with
a particular identity..

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>