RE: Why Rohit hates being 23.

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:48:12 -0700

> From: CobraBoy [mailto:tbyars@earthlink.net]
> If you invent a greatest thing since sliced bread but are a
> fucked up loser, you still are a fucked up loser that invented something
> great.

Speaking of which...

<http://lrc.pcc.edu/lrcnews/spring96.htm>
http://lrc.pcc.edu/lrcnews/spring96.htm

* Who invented sliced bread?

Otto Frederick Rohwedder, 1928, is the father of the precut loaf. When
bakers told him that sliced bread would go stale too quickly, he devised an
apparatus for holding the slices together with hat pins. Unfortunately, the
pins kept falling out. The obvious solution of an overall wrapper was not so
obvious, because wrapped bread did not exist. In May 1928, a bakery in
Battle Creek, Michigan, began turning out the first sliced bread, using
Rohwedder's latest slicer, which also wrapped and sealed the loaf.

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar@acm.org>
<http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar/>
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (650)
588-4801
Microsoft Research (BARC), 301 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94105-6605
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do not
reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.