Re: Digital cameras again

From: Manoj Kasichainula (manojk@io.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 10:14:29 PDT

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 08:36:40AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> I rather like the idea of write-to-floppy cameras, since they
> produce images that are instantly transportable and don't
> require installing download software on a machine nor doing
> the cabling thing when you want to upload. Just pop the floppy
> and you're there. I think the main drawback is the interval
> between shots.

No, the main drawback is massively less data on the medium. 1.4MB on
the floppy vs. as much as 128MB (or 256MB, I think) on a CF card.

Since I know you have a laptop, you can get a cheap PCMCIA-CF adapter
( < $10) which allows Linux and Windows to read the images directly
off of the card.

> I'm also somewhat in favour of rechargeable batteries over
> the buy/use/discard variety. I spent beaucoups bucks on
> coppertops one day with a borrowed Casio.

NiMH and Lithium batteries last a lot longer than alkaline in today's
digicams as well.

My Kodak DC265 is excellent (the newest model is the 290), and it even
has MAME ported to it, but it's a bit big. A mutual friend (Shane) got
an itty-bitty Fuji camera that he likes.

Many photography geeks recommend the Nikon Coolpix, but it doesn't
have USB, IrDA, or MAME yet.