Re: from Risks Digest 20.90 - SPRINT

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 11:03:42 PDT

My grandfather was an engineer for SP back in the days when a bad day
for an engineer could include being steamed alive in a Mallie cab,
rather than just frequent exposure to a reboot screen. According to
my grandparents, Sprint started out life as the "Southern Pacific
Railroad Internal" network, and the excess capacity was largely used
as chat lines by railroad families until deregulation.

-Dave

Has anyone seen Robert W. Fogel's _Railroads and American Economic
Growth: Essays in Econometric History_? I ran into a review
recently from EH.NET which claimed: