RE: FW: Kill the RIAA: a protocol

From: Damien Morton (morton@dennisinter.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 20:04:17 PDT

Does iPal care if one of their machines goes down for 5 minutes?

I know how stable Sun boxes can be, I also know how stable NT can be.

The uptime of a 10 box NT cluster is completely comparable to a 10 box Unix
cluster. Other factors will tend to dominate any statistics about uptime,
once you get up to a certain number of machines in a cluster.

Failover is a strategy that has been succesfully used by the most reliable
of solutions, and is one which is perfectly legitimate.

Forgive me, Im a little drunk, and not at all religious when it comes to
OSs. If my T1 connection has 99% uptime, what do I care if my cluster has
99.9% or 99.99% uptime.

What is the cost difference (in hardware, software and personel) between a
solution that offers 99.9% uptime and 99.99% uptime. Does that cost make
sense in terms of my business?