[CNET] Senators Voice Opposition to AOL-Time Warner Union

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 15:48:38 PDT

Quick, name one thing Jesse Helms, Edward Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Diane
Feinstein, AT&T, GE, CBS/Viacom, Microsoft, Yahoo!, and Disney all agree on...

  http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2587692.html

Geez, when did Steve Case get so many enemies? Used to be the worst
indictment of AOL was http://www.aolsucks.com/ but now it seems like
pretty much everyone in the universe is gunning for them..

> Senators voice opposition to AOL-Time Warner union
> By Jim Hu, Staff Writer, CNET News.com
> August 22, 2000, 4:35 p.m. PT
>
> A growing number of U.S. senators are asking regulators to take a closer
> look at the proposed merger between America Online and Time Warner,
> saying the combination could disfavor competitors seeking carriage on
> the company's Internet access network.
>
> Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., is the latest addition to a mixed collection of
> legislators weighing in on the merger. Helms last week sent letters to
> Federal Trade Commission Chairman Robert Pitofsky and to the Federal
> Communications Commission asking the agencies to "carefully"
> scrutinize the merger to ensure that AOL Time Warner lives up to its
> promises for open access.
>
> The Senate does not vote on mergers, but pressure from its members can be a
> powerful force in swaying opinion among federal regulators charged with
> approving them.
>
> "If they can give the enforcers some backbone, maybe they can embolden
> them" to take a particular course of action, said Robert Lande, a professor
> at the University of Baltimore Law School. Three regulatory bodies must
> approve the merger before it goes through: the FTC, the FCC and the
> European Commission.
>
> Helms and at least a half-dozen other senators have written to U.S
> regulators about the deal. While the senators do not openly oppose the
> merger in their letters, they all raise a skeptical voice about the
> advantages of the deal for consumers.
>
> For example, in his letter to the FTC last week, Helms raised concerns
> about whether AOL Time Warner would treat rival content providers equally
> on its cable and dial-up access networks. The merged company would join the
> nation's second-largest cable operator, the world's largest media company,
> and the world's largest Internet service provider in one company.
> Helms wrote that because communications systems allow consumers to get news
> and information from several providers, the Internet should also offer
> content on a basis of "equal access."

> steadfast in its promises to open cable access to outside ISPs.
>
> "Our commitment to content diversity and open access is crystal clear and
> couldn't be stronger," an AOL representative said.
>
> A representative for Helms' office confirmed the letters but declined to
> comment. Other senators who have sent letters to the FTC during the
> past few months include Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.; Dianne Feinstein,
> D-Calif.; Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.; Mike DeWine, R-Ohio; Herb Kohl,
> D-Wis.; and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.
>
> The concerns of this small choir of senators reflect sentiments expressed
> by AOL's and Time Warner's competitors as well as those of consumer groups.
> Rivals fear that AOL Time Warner would favor its own content on its cable
> Internet access network. Cable ISP consumers can use the Internet at high
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

.sig conspiracy theory superplay! Take THIS, alt.warlords...

Mark Crispin Miller (New York University, US), makes the following points: 1) Seven media giants control the diversity of television: Tele-Communications Inc., Time-Warner, Disney, Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, General Electric, Viacom, and CBS. 2) Whereas 20 years ago TV production was the work of many non-affiliated entities, today approximately 90 per cent of what is seen on the 6 networks during prime time belongs to General Electric, Time-Warner, Disney, News Corporation, Viacom, CBS, Sony, and Universal. 3) Miller predicts that in the future "our entertainment will become at once more violent and more boring, with all the hits of yesteryear, or yesterday, recycled, only now with desperate crudity: lots of skin and rape and torture -- anything to keep the audience from moving on or passing out." Miller proposes "radical reform: to free the media through new antitrust laws, a stringent public service code, and ample public funding (based on corporate revenues) of a national and local broadcast system that would really serve the people." Miller does not address the question of who will decide what will "really serve the people", or the larger question of whether any such decision can ever be made without the wielding of dangerous political power by a self- consecrated elite. QY: Mark Crispin Miller, New York University 212-998-4500 (The Nation 8 Jun 98) -- http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/jun98/0298.html