Re: The tribulations of "underage" traveling...

duck (duck@cci-29palms.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:20:49 -0700

At 05:34 PM 8/12/97 -0400, Rohit Khare wrote:
>WSJ commented today on the predicament of under-25 travelers. I've had
>success with corporate accounts since 19, but it can become a major
>struggle. I stick with Avis, where they know me well know (at least their
>computers do...)
>
>Rohit
>
>PS. The other item is just for Duck... :-)

I know i'm slow, Ro, but i'm not catching exactly what this has to
do with me (other than my brief and unfortunate stint at U of O, during
which i majored in "getting the fuck out of there").

>BOTTOM OF THE CLASS? Jobs nonetheless beckon computer-information grads.

Would that be Steve Jobs? But re: me - where's the connection?
I'm a writer/music journalist/talentless hack. To me, "computer
information" is the ability to recognize one on sight.

>A sizzling market for computer-science and management-information skills
>raises demand for college grads -- even those who might once have had to
>scrounge for a job. At the University of Oklahoma in Norman, students with
>averages in the lowest quarter of the class are getting two or three job
>offers, says Richard Van Horn, a management-systems professor.

If i recall the talent at U of O (or lack thereof) correctly, these
lower 25% are probably being offered jobs by the University itself, most
likely teaching positions.

>The University of Pittsburgh finds that only a handful among hundreds of
>company recruiters initially specify grade-point averages for candidates,
>according to Robert Perkoski, career-placement director. Mr. Perkoski, who
>happens to have a degree in management information,

Probably from U of O.

> finds that even he gets
>job offers.

Probably from U of O.

>At the University of Cincinnati, a "C" student with a bachelor's degree
>gets two job offers, accepting a $37,000 starting salary at a global
>consulting firm.

Apparently, a "C" student at U of C is smart enough not to take the
other job which was an offer from U of O to teach "Introduction to Cow
Tipping: Bovine Beware."

Which reminds me of a little joke...

One day at the end of class, little Billy's teacher asked the class to go
home and think of a story and then conclude with the moral of that story.

The following day the teacher asks for the first volunteer to tell their
story. Little Suzy raises her hand. "My dad owns a farm and every Sunday
we load the chicken eggs on the truck and drive into town to sell them at
the market. Well, one Sunday we hit a big bump and all the eggs flew out of
the basket and onto the road." The teacher asks for the moral of the
story. Suzy replies, "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket."

Next is little Bobby. "Well, my dad owns a farm too and every weekend we
take the chicken eggs and put them in the incubator. Last weekend only 8
of the 12 eggs hatched." Teacher asks for the moral of the story. Lucy
replies, "Don't count your eggs before they're hatched."

Last is little Billy. "My uncle Ted fought in the Vietnam war. His plane
was shot down over enemy territory. He jumped out before it crashed with
only a case of beer, a machine gun, and a machete. On the way down he drank
the case of beer. Unfortunately, he landed right in the middle of 100
Vietnamese soldiers. He shot 70 with his machine gun, but then ran out of
bullets, so he pulled out his machete and killed 20 more. The blade on his
machete broke, so he killed the last ten with his bare hands."

Teacher looks in shock at Billy and asks if there is possibly any moral to
his story. Billy replies, "Don't fuck with uncle Ted when he's been
drinking."

">
duck

******
"If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve
enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts."

--Kurt Vonnegut