Re: Time Cover Story: Winner Take All.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:52:10 PDT

A User Who Wishes to Remain Anonymous wrote:

> >Argh! Yet another invokation of the Internet as Telephone
> >Network Analogy (tm):
>
> You mean you don't like this analogy? But it's perfect!
>
> Joe user sends messages to sci.this and comp.that every day or two.
> Exactly like a phone call. To be precise, like an international
> conference call with a thousand colleagues spread around the globe.
>
> What?
> You say that you don't make that kind of call very often?
> Why is that?

Um, because I have half a brain in my head?

No, wait, that's not what I meant.

ObFoRKpost:

Your Personal Net (http://www.ypn.com/), which opened officially last week,
is rilly rilly good. I highly recommend you visit if you haven't
yet.

First there was HOMR/RINGO/Firefly, which I thought was inadequate at
making recommendations to me the home user, but a good first stab. Over
in the corner were Web Hound (or whatever it's now called) plus those
filtering folks in one of those midwest state universities. Then there
was http://www.theangle.com/ and http://my.yahoo.com/ whose customized
recommendations were even better. YPN does a really good job of
customizing and giving regular updates of new web material. Plus,
if you visit the Web page today, the cover story is Cameron Diaz.

=) Adam

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Overnight successes take a long time. It takes perseverance. You just
have to keep on going.
-- Steve Jobs