Re: NASA finds Internet transmission faulty in space

Rohit Khare (khare@w3.org)
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 06:44:06 -0400

Teledesic *will* solve this because it's a non-problem! Satellites have
been part of the IP fabric since the very beginning -- making it work for
TCP is only marginally harder.

I'm unconcerned because the problems affecting satellites are isomophic to
those facing gigabit transcontinental lines: the 'fat pipe problem'. No
matter how fast (or slow) your transmission speed, it's still at least ~30
ms light delay coast-to-coast rtt. While a modem is lucky to send a few
bytes in that window, the ack-delay is effectively zero packets. When a
terabit line sends hundreds of thousands of packets within that light-delay
window, the acks back up and explode.

So the solutions are tractable, too: streaming acks, selective nacks,
better modeling of the transport mediums' underlying error rates and
self-recovering error-resistant encodings. All of this MUST be solved on
the ground for fiber/SONET/etc, so it should port right over to space. The
worst case cost is a session-layer TCP gateway.

That's why Teledesic may stillbe right for not investing a dime in sw
research and letting the rest of the Net solve their problems in the next
36 months :-)

PS. Fooey on NASA for not predicting these problems when they turned on
their satellite 155mbps net -- the response-window ack-delay is obvious to
the most casual observer....

RK