AltaVista Instant Messenger beta

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 07:27:23 PST

Ironic that my biggest Y2K Bug "inconvenience" is that FoRK's
hypermailer stopped archiving. Memo to self: recompile hypermail.
Or better yet, instant message to self in a day or two.

Which reminds me, AltaVista has joined the instant message wars by
configuring the client of fellow-CMGi-owned Tribal Voice. Some comments
on the PC Magazine Review:

1. AltaVista Messenger says it interoperates with AT&T's IM Here, AOL
Instant Messenger, and MSN Messenger. No interoperation with ICQ and
Yahoo Pager/Messenger, both of whom will frustrate any attempts at
interoperation. No mention of IETF's working group for IMPP, the
Instant Messenging & Presence Protocol.

2. Nice feature list:
> -- Interoperable, instant text messaging
> -- Instant voice messaging (in "Away" or "Do Not Disturb" mode, an
> answering machine will take messages)
> -- Buddy List consolidator that displays all users who are online,
> across multiple systems
> -- Web cruise option that allows users to guide the browser of the
> person with whom they are communicating
> -- File transfer Links to AltaVista premier services

3. What's the deal with Novell?
> Novell(R) eDirectory Services(R), the world's leading provider of
> directory-enabled networking software, provides Internet management and
> security for the AltaVista Messenger. As a part of AltaVista's software
> infrastructure, Novell provides a real-time security solution that
> quickly authenticates users of AltaVista Messenger.

It's interesting to watch AltaVista try to elbow its way into the top
circle of the Internet where AOL, Yahoo, and Microsoft live and where
Lycos, the Go Network, and Excite @Home want to be. We see AltaVista
trying to differentiate itself from the pack: real-time news delivered
using Tibco, free Internet access via 1stUp/NaviNet, free email from
Critical Path, commerce offerings through its newly-acquired
Shopping.com, message boards through its newly-acquired Raging Bull, and
now a free IM client that supposedly interoperates with several others.

It was interesting to watch AltaVista go from a DEC researc lab in 1995
to one of the top Internet destinations in 1996 to sliding out of
conscious by early 1999 (if you wanted pure search by that point you
went to www.alltheweb.com or www.google.com ), to trying to make a
comeback now (having filed their S-1 in December, they're going public
in February or March). I have a PowWow client already, but my interest
is piqued: I'll have to download the beta of AV Messenger and give it a try.

> [...]
> and AltaVista Live! for immediate news, weather, real-time stock quotes
> and financial information, and other personalized portal services.
>
> AltaVista Messenger features include:
>
> -- Interoperable, instant text messaging
>
> -- Instant voice messaging (in "Away" or "Do Not Disturb" mode, an
> answering machine will take messages)
>
> -- Buddy List consolidator that displays all users who are online,
> across multiple systems
>
> -- Web cruise option that allows users to guide the browser of the
> person with whom they are communicating
>
> -- File transfer Links to AltaVista premier services
>
> AltaVista Messenger sits open on a user's desktop with buddy list icons
> that change color to indicate when users are present or not. Users can
> create their own user profiles, which can be viewed and amended as
> desired, and form lists of friends, buddies and work colleagues.
> AltaVista users also have the option to launch a Web browser directly
> from the client to access AltaVista Search, comprising a comprehensive
> Web index with more than 250 million pages.
>
> AltaVista Messenger is able to communicate with AOL's AIM through its
> previously published public source code and with Microsoft's MSN
> Messenger Service through its publicly published and sanctioned methods
> for communicating with other messaging users. AltaVista Messenger is
> based on the PowWow technology designed and developed by Tribal Voice, a
> majority owned operating company of CMGI, Inc.
>
> Novell(R) eDirectory Services(R), the world's leading provider of
> directory-enabled networking software, provides Internet management and
> security for the AltaVista Messenger. As a part of AltaVista's software
> infrastructure, Novell provides a real-time security solution that
> quickly authenticates users of AltaVista Messenger.
>
> About AltaVista Company
>
> AltaVista Company is the premier media and commerce network offering
> Internet users up-to-the-minute news, live video, content, search and
> shopping resources. The company integrates unique technology, products
> and services to deliver relevant results faster for both individuals and
> businesses. AltaVista is building on its heritage of technology and
> innovative leadership, offering informative services including AltaVista
> Live!, AltaVista Search, AltaVista Shopping.com, and AltaVista Free
> Internet Access combined with the microportal. AltaVista is a
> majority-owned operating company of CMGI, Inc., Andover, Mass. AltaVista
> is headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif.
>
> NOTE: AltaVista is registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
> Shopping.com is a trademark of AltaVista Company or its affiliates.
> Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered
> trademarks of their respective companies.
>
> SOURCE AltaVista Company
> -0- 01/11/2000
> /CONTACT: media, David Emanuel of AltaVista Company, 650-617-3496, or

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

The Web is about empowering the individual. -- David Wetherell