Commercial Open Source

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 08:30:47 PST

Gregory Alan Bolcer writes:
> A couple of interesting things, I hadn't realized there was a
> backlash against RHAT from the open source community. Can anyone
> confirm that or is this just some Forbes fiction? Second is APOs.

There are folks on Slashdot who ritually follow up to articles on
commercial development by complaining about the "impurity" of it --- I
actually saw one guy saying that you weren't a *real* open source
developer unless you were staying up past midnight after wasting ten
hours in a soul-deadening day job (I don't *think* he mentioned cold
garrets, but the starving artist syndrome was clearly in evidence).

Of course this categorization of "*real* open source developers"
excludes Alan Cox, Larry Wall, David Miller, Miguel de Icaza, and
numerous other open-source development kingpins.

So, that's what Forbes is talking about. I wouldn't call it fiction;
just an inability on Forbes' part to distinguish between the serious
open-source development community and a bunch of whiners on the
margins...

rst