Re: SalonHerringWiredFool.com

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 10:47:02 PST

I guess this would be an appropriate thread to plug what I've been working on.
I'm currently involved with (chairman, interim CEO, and investor in) a company
called "clickfeed.com" which has a slightly different take on this. We're
billing ourselves as a "metanews agency," but the focus is slightly different
from the aggregators; we're more focused on collaborative filtering (initially
active, eventually passive) of news and other timely, topical info as well as a
variety of value-adds on top of the filtering.

The initial service is simply a Web-based link referral mechanism, with a
"feed" abstraction that supports publish, subscribe, and a variety of group
security semantics. Imagine FoRK with just the bits (links) and very little
commentary. If you imagine what eGroups is to a single non-eGrouped mailing
list, you can sort of imagine a similar relationship between us and say,
slashdot, or TBTF, or whatever. We're about a couple of weeks from having the
initial site up; if you go there now, there's a "notify me when the service
goes live" page.

I'd love to have FoRKers banging on it as early users; I imagine the feedback
would be quite useful, this is one of the most clueful groups of folks I know
and frankly, the service was designed with folks like us in mind.

$0.02,

jb