Re: privacy

From: Mike Masnick (mike@techdirt.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:17:57 PST

At 02:50 PM 2/16/00 -0800, Brian A. LaMacchia wrote:
>> This was on Dave Farber's Interesting People list. Imagine the next
>> step--networking the EZ Pass reader. If you go through tollbooth A at
>9:35,
>> then through tollbooth B, 30 miles away, at 9:57, will your Visa get
>debited
>> for the speeding ticket?
>
>I heard stories when I was growing up of the PA Turnpike Authority
>automatically handing out speeding tickets if not enough time had passed
>between the timestamp on your entry ticket and the time you exited. (The
>claim was that truckers would pull into truck stops on the TPK to "cool
>off", and of course having to wait in line a few minutes at a tollbooth does
>wonders for lowering average speed.) I have no direct knowledge of this
>ever happening, so it could just be urban legend, but the technology was
>certainly there 30 years ago.
>
> --bal

Someone was just telling me (and this is definitely secondhand) that the
airport in Dallas-Ft. Worth will charge you if you enter and exit within a
certain period of time, because people were using the airport to shorten
their commute, and it wasn't built to withstand that much traffic... Not
exactly the same thing, but similar.

 -Mike