XML: The Least You Need to Know.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:09:12 -0800

I've finished formatting, modifying, and linking the "XML: The Least You
Need to Know" tutorial that Rohit Khare and I will be presenting at the
Systor/CHOOSE-Event "XML for Software Construction" on Monday:

http://www.systor.com/know/research/events/xml.html

The slides in HTML, RTF, Powerpoint '97, and Powerpointified-HTML are at:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/papers/xml/tutorial/

With some examples (Regula, this is the file to print as well) at:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/papers/xml/tutorial/XML-examples.html

And the collection of XML-related links I updated today are at

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/xml.html

You will notice that there are now two XML-related books we
wholeheartedly recommend to someone who wants to learn more about XML.
First, a reference guide of XML principles, tools, and techniques was
published by O'Reilly as the Autumn 1997 issue of the World Wide Web
Journal, edited by Dan Connolly and Rohit Khare:

http://www.w3j.com/xml/

Better yet, order it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565923499/forkrecommendedrA/

The other book we recommend is the clueful book by Richard Light called
"Presenting XML" (which I finally got around to reading this week).
There's not much at its online site, but the hardcopy from Sams.Net is
chock full of examples and understands the philosophy of XML syntax,
DTDs, XML linking, style sheets, the technical corrigendum, and so
forth. The book is online (in XML, of course):

http://www.mcp.com/info/1-57521/1-57521-334-6/

But again, I recommend buying it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1575213346/forkrecommendedrA/

Dist-objers will be happy to see a reference to the dist-obj mailing
list in the bibliography of Richard Light's book; I quote:

> Distributed Objects Mailing List: This is a public mailing list for
> extremely technical discussions about the development of distributed
> object software. This site keeps hyperlinked archives of all the
> messages sent to the list. You can see it at

http://www.infospheres.caltech.edu/mailing_lists/dist-obj/

No mention of the FoRK mailing list anywhere in the book, but I'm
willing to forgive him as the rest of the book is so well done.

One more (non-XML) reference: Paul Hethmon has put together a decent
illustrated guide to HTTP 1.1 wherein he deconstructs the spec in a
language that non-techies can understand. Buy it from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0138582262/forkrecommendedrA/

Regula and Walter: we still need information regarding hotel
accommodations in Basel and how to get there. See you Sunday!

Adam

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

How many physical goods can you amass? How many glass bowls can you use
to hold all the things you don't use? Even, how many commercials can
you watch or how many Web sites can you visit? A better way to measure
wealth is how many unique experiences you have had. What captured your
attention then and forever more?
-- Esther Dyson, _Release 2.0_