Re: Launch Win98

Dr. Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@drernie.scruz.net)
Thu, 16 Jul 98 07:52:48 -0700

[Delayed since June 28 due to mailer problems]

Were any other FoRKers present? I was there, and had a great time, but
no other FoRKers identified themselves. They actually had a press
conference, with several press people (including a few Japanese)
explaining how it started as a joke and kinda got carried away (almost
like Linux). I had some fun tossing in well-appreciated one-liners, like:

"So, how do you respond to concerns by the UFO society that attempting
to launch Windows into space will be considered a hostile act, leading
to violent reprisals by aliens?"

There was a question: "Linux was on the Mars explorer; has Windows
every been in space before?"
Me: "Well, there's rumours that it was used to run 'Mir'"

After a discussion about the various possible failure modes of the
rocket (chute not ejecting, nose cone detaching): "So, you're saying
this could be the *second* Public WIndows 98 crash?"

My estimate was about a dozen SVLUG (user group) people, a half-dozen
press, and a half-dozen hangers on like myself. As well as maybe an
equal number of regular Baynar attendees. All in all, a fun crowd.

-- Ernie P.