Oracle buys Navio; Gateway debuts NetPC.

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Tue, 20 May 1997 20:20:53 -0400 (EDT)

I. Find Karma writes:
> Call it being totally misinformed that what he says or thinks is
> meaningful to anyone. Larry, your days are numbered.

Oh, he just spouts off like this to get his name in the papers.
(I'm not sure how many of you took his "Apple takeover play"
seriously; I sure didn't. The only thing he could have possibly
wanted in the deal was the brand name...).

Come to think of it, he's alike in this respect with at least one
other highly eccentric Bay Area businessman who is known for his
business acumen, and for pursuing success in his chosen field with a
singleminded, almost predatory zeal. Has anyone ever seen Larry and
Al Davis together in the same room?

> > The software will be shipped to overseas customers from Sun
> > distributors in third countries, effectively skirting U.S. encryption
> > export laws. Jim Bidzos, CEO of encryption firm RSA Data Security,
> > says the move is "blatant and in-your-face," and warns "The government
> > has to shut this down, or else the competitors of Sun probably have to
> > say, 'We're going to do the same thing.'"
>
> This could get interesting.

FWIW, Sun is not the first company to try this. Community Connexion
announced an arrangement like this about a month ago for an https:
proxy which upgrades transactions directed through it to 128-bit
encryption from 40-bit; I believe there have been others. This is,
however, the first time I've heard of a company large enough to have
widespread name-brand recognition (or even a stock market listing)
trying this particular gambit.

rst