Re: Here's a caffeine buzz for ya

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:48:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Wayne wrote:

>http://www.digital.com/flash/
>> Digital Equipment Corporation today further demonstrated its solid
>> commitment to the Java(tm) development community by announcing
>> availability of the Java Development Kit (JDK) Version 1.1.1 with
>> POSIX threads, and the super-fast Digital Just-In-Time (JIT) Java
>> compiler for Digital UNIX. [...]

I hate to say it, but this particular piece of marketing is a load of
cr*p. If you want to run Java quickly on Alphas, get Cacao. It's
free, does not require signing away your soul, runs on Linux and D.U.
and is MUCH faster than Digital's JIT. Downer: the BISS-AWT port is a
month away...

I've used cacao (along with pizza instead of javac) a bit and on the
benchmark I was interested in, it was faster on Alpha than the same
thing in C on a PPro.

-- Rob.
.-. Robert.Harley@inria.fr .-.
`-' Linux - 500MHz Alpha - 256MB SDRAM `-'