Re: ml.org gone for good

Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:47:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Tim Byars wrote:
> So 3 P-II 450 MHZ boxes running Linux or BSD should be able to handle what?
> 500K hits a day? How can so many people be blaming so much on server
> failure? I keep seeing this all of a sudden and I am having trouble
> believing it's "server failure."

Fuckin management failure is what it is. More hardware was theirs for
the asking, along with time to administer it. Nobody outside the Inner
Circle has any idea what happened -- Zach Joress, Aveek Datta, and
Chris Ueland, I think.

I could have done more to make ml.org live while it was alive --
answered more tickets, been better at support -- but the fuckin
bastards didn't give us staff a chance. They simply declared Monolith
was over and done with, and there wasn't a goddamned thing anybody
could do to convince them otherwise.

I note that <URL:http://www.ml.org/newsfaq.html> mentions that the
services the vast majority of people were using are still up -- ATHOME
and FREED -- and will continue to be if possible.

"Why are you withholding me?" -- name withheld  "Oh... And dig this:  I
am a fish.  'Nuff said." -- Joe Blaylock (no further explanation)