Re: Oh, this is making *me* sneezy and teary...

Steve Dossick (sdossick@cs.columbia.edu)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:09:48 -0500 (EST)

The problem, of course, is that it's impossible to find good talent, so
more and more startups find themselves paying 'normal' salaries as an
inducement to get the true superstars (as well as to induce more
superstars out of grad school, hint hint).

The risk? The risk is that you make a choice. The best position to be
in as a talented tech wonk these days is with 5-6 offers on the table from
promising startups. Which one will have a successful IPO? Which will
burn thru its money and go under? Once you sign on the dotted line,
you're in a very different place. And you're hopefully working your ass
off to make sure that the one you chose is the one that everyone wants a
piece of. (I know I am).

-s