Re: Mary Gentle [was Re: The Armageddon Rag]

From: Chris Olds (
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:37:34 PDT

Synchronicity is a *very* strange beast. I just finished reading "Grunts"
this morning, after finding it on a random pile of library sale books a few
days ago.

> While we're at it, I'll assume she also wrote "Grunts" some years back.
> This book is *not* recommended, unless you're a grade-A tolkein fan who
> has spent years reading fantasy fiction. In which case, it's a real
> blast of a spoof that is packed with military movie references and
> in-jokes. Otherwise, it's tripe.

This is an accurate review. That said, I liked it a lot.

"You've got to be careful with midgets in Spandex."
Jamie Richardson, director of marketing at White Castle