RE: Don 't Be Spooked Mr. Sulzberger

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 18:52:15 PPET

My first take on reading this posting is to realize that just because the
timing and slant of the report may help Gore, doesn't mean it isn't
accurate. But ignoring the election issues (oh how I wish I could), is the
report accurate?

We all know there are knee-jerk reactions from the environmentalist side
(ever noticed that any human-linked change is BAD by definition), but there
are also knee-jerk reactions from the other side. I suppose people who are
sick of environmentalist scares that end up being hot air (heh heh)
eventually react like the villagers to the boy who cried wolf.

So, know and recognize your biases.
 - "supplysideinvestor.com", originator of the article posted by Jay, sounds
awful anti-environmentalist due to the general pro-big-business and
anti-intervention slants of supply-siders...
 - Tech Central Station, originator of the article posted by Y. Zhang,
although it sounds apolitical, is not: the sig on the posting said
"free-market agenda" and again free-marketers are typically opposed to
intervention for environment-preserving purposes.

Who else can we look at?

According to http://www.law.pace.edu/env/energy/globalwarming.html, both
NASA and the World Meterologcial association say that the surface
temperatures are the warmest "ever". In fact, these only measure since
1880.

The Economist recently had an article on coral death due to global warming,
full article available only for subscribers:
"A report by marine biologists estimated that 50-95% of the coral reefs in
the Indian Ocean have died. Warmer seas over the past two years have caused
the damage."
Also more broad reportage:
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=380722
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=374071
http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=343451
"Giant firms such as United Technologies, Intel, American Electric Power
(AEP), DuPont and BP now openly accept that the evidence for climate change
is sufficient to take it seriously. "
The Economist's bias? Well, many economic journals are very
non-interventionist, but the Economist is unusual in preaching intervention
in some cases. In general, the Economist reports science fairly
straightforwardly, and when it discusses policy, which it does discuss very
clearly separate from the science, it favours some taxation or other
intervention to discourage fossil fuel use. I can't recall if they ever
justified that position.

National Geographic:
http://www.ngnews.com/news/2000/10/10262000/warm_3225.asp
"a _minority_ of scientists say there is no proof that the warming of the
20th century is anything but natural, and they argue that the computer
models used to predict climate change are not reliable. " (emphasis mine)
I would assume NatGeo would be likely to treat global warming as a disaster.
Very conservationist.

Scientific American: http://www.sciam.com/2000/0800issue/0800epstein.html
"Today few scientists doubt the atmosphere is warming. Most also agree...
that the consequences of this temperature change could become increasingly
disruptive. "
SciAm definitely has a pro-science-funding bias, which puts them under
suspicion of wanting more research into anything. Tends to make them report
things as problems.

NYT http://www.iht.com/IHT/TODAY/FRI/FPAGE/climate.2.html
"Many panel members said the summary represented the closest thing to a
consensus possible in science"
"evidence of increasing warming has shown up in retreating glaciers,
thinning polar sea ice, retreating snowpacks, warmer nights and other
phenomena."
"One of its most striking findings is its conclusion that the upper range of
warming over the next 100 years could be even higher than it estimated in
1995"
Although major newspapers do fairly straight reporting of whatever seems
like "news", there is in fact a bias because "environmental disaster
looming" is news, whereas "no disaster" is no news.

On the anti-environmentalist side, I have run across a fairly scientific yet
readable report at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine:
http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
Those guys are extremely libertarian, which correlates strongly with
anti-environmentalistism.
It's very interesting to compare their graphs to the graphs which NASA has
produced at http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/observe/surftemp/.

A fairly balanced MSNBC report talks about the difference between
temperatures measured for the surface, water and atmosphere. (I'm not
always in favour of "balanced reporting" -- it's inappropriate to balance a
science article between geneticists talking about evolution and
Creationists -- but in this case it seems appropriate).
http://www.msnbc.com/news/187392.asp

Government research organizations can generally be assumed to be fairly
biased. By human nature, their continued job security depends on finding
evidence to indicate there is a problem worth continuing investigation on.
http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/temp/vostok/jouz_tem.htm: "Present-day
atmospheric burdens of carbon dioxide and methane seem to have been
unprecedented during the past 420,000 years"
http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/temp/jonescru/jones.html: "Trends in
annual mean temperature anomalies for the globe show relatively stable
temperatures from the beginning of the record through about 1910, with
relatively rapid and steady warming through the early 1940s, followed by
another period of relatively stable temperatures through the mid-1970s. From
this point onward, another rapid rise similar to that in the earlier part of
the century is observed. "

PBS/Nova is somewhat respected, but they're pretty bright green, IMO.
Luckily, their site has more in-depth coverage than a TV show can generally
have. I like their debate section, it's really worth reading the actual
statements of various scientists with their affiliations clearly stated.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/warming/: "The overwhelming majority of scientists
agree: earth's temperature has risen during the past century. But is it due
to man's use of fossil fuel energy? And if so, how can we prevent the
catastrophic results that some scientists predict if global warming
continues?"

My summary/take on the whole situation is this:

1. It's clear that bodies of water and surface temperatures are warming up.
It's not so clear that the atmosphere is warming up. Those who deny that
there are temperature changes which affect wildlife (coral, plants, bird
ranges) have their heads in the sand.

2. It's not clear whether human action has caused the warming up, or
affected it, and if so, by how much. Particularly when you take into
account other factors besides fossil fuels, like deforestation, changing the
reflectivity of land in a massive way by picking crops (anybody remember
Gaia sim?). One of the debates is over the atmosphere temp: if our fossil
fuel use was causing a greenhouse effect, wouldn't atmosphere temps rise?

3. It's very clear how easy it is to pick the data you want to use for this
issue.

4. We don't know what the "ideal" temperature for the world should be --
past centuries have seen both warmer temps and colder -- and different
groups have different norms to compare to.

5. Rarely does anybody, ever, talk about the cost/benefit ratio of doing
anything about global warming. The two sides only say "This is a problem we
must do something about" or "this is not a problem". Anybody, anywhere,
think this might be a real problem that is nonetheless too
expensive/difficult to tackle???

Or perhaps that we might like the world warmer? Hey, as a Canadian myself,
hmm...

Lisa