Re: sum-up

From: Bill Stoddard (stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 09:15:42 PPET

----- Original Message -----
From: Sophie Maddox <sophiemad@usa.net>

> So what happens if one candidate wins the popular vote and the other
> the electoral vote? I know what the law says but is it fair?

My (very limited) understanding of the electoral college is that it was
designed to prevent large urban populations from dominating the political
agenda of the entire nation. If that is truely the purpose, then I'd say it
worked as designed if Bush is elected. (since all the large urban areas voted
solidly for Gore and most of the less dense populated areas did not). I
expect to hear a lot more about the electoral college in the next few weeks
and hopefully "we the people" will pick up some good American history lessons
along the way.

Bill