Re: NT and Unix Server Siege

Mark Baker (distobj@acm.org)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:16:30 -0500

At 06:45 PM 17/11/97 -0500, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>There are other free software phenomena which I'd love to have good
>data on. Apache, for instance. It gets a lot of attention as a piece
>of successful freeware because the Netcraft survey shows a lot of
>commercial users --- but everyone I've ever talked to who claims to be
>making money on web servers says they're doing it on intranets, a lot
>of which are behind firewalls and inaccessible to the Netcraft
>survey.

I know it gets a lot of use behind Nortel's firewall, which is quite large
(the world's largest MacLAN, though shrinking fast!). Probably somewhere
around 30% based on the discussions in our newsgroups. But I doubt it'll
get any bigger than that - we just got a corporate Netscape server license.

MB

--
Mark Baker, Ottawa Ontario CANADA.                Java, CORBA, XML, Beans
http://www.iosphere.net/~markb               distobj@acm.org  ICQ:5100069

Will distribute business objects for food.