Re: [Wash Post] The WAP backlash continues...

From: Edd Dumbill (edd@usefulinc.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 04:47:41 PDT

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:31:58AM -0700, rbfar@ebuilt.com wrote:
> But don't you think that content will get pushed into XML and HTML will be
> generated from XML?
>
> That way, all you need to do is create content in XML and build XSL's on the
> top of it to spit out HTML, WML, or whatever.... (I know this is really
> obvious and I'm probably missing something...)

<decloak/>

Seems to me that both the nature of the content and the interaction
model is different for wireless devices than PC browsers--so it's not a
case of creating the data once in XML and then using XSLT to get WML for
free. The WML application, to be effective (ha!), needs to be designed
in a way sensitive to the device. Often a part of this could be
abbreviated content, etc. For all XSLT's convenience it can't do that
work for you.

-- Edd